Advertisement

Sheryl Crow on CMA Awards: 'We don't want to just have one day'

Sheryl Crow on CMA Awards: 'We don't want to just have one day' (14 Nov 2019) SHERYL CROW ON CMA AWARDS: 'WE DON'T WANT TO JUST HAVE ONE DAY'

The CMA Awards were celebrating the women of country music on Wednesday (13 NOVEMBER) in Nashville, but Sheryl Crow warned on the red carpet "we don't want to just have one day."

The awards ceremony was being hosted by Reba McEntire, Dolly Parton and Carrie Underwood, but female artists have been overlooked when it comes to airplay on country radio stations in recent years.

"I have mixed emotions about it. You know, it's kind of a big hoopla when -- I mean, I'll be really excited when things just get back to the way they were, way back when Loretta and Dolly and Tammy Wynette -- I mean, women were all over the radio," Crow said. "It wasn't a big deal like we're having to make it now. I mean, it's gonna be wonderful to see those women. And there are some great -- I mean, there is an incredible population of fantastic female artists at country radio. And it's going be great to see them all up there. But we don't want to just have one day."

Ashley McBryde enjoyed having the group Runaway June crash her interview on the red carpet, and they plotted forming a new supergroup.

"That's one of those Grammy moments they talk about. You know, I'm like, oh, hi. This is awesome. This just in. I'm joining Runaway June. Thank you girls," McBryde said. "We're going to call it Estrogen Bomb. Right? Is that what we're going to do? That sounds great!"

Lady Antebellum was collaborating with pop star Halsey on a performance that mashed up their "What If I Never Get Over You" with her "Graveyard."

"We went down the road musically and saw that it very naturally kind of mashed together well, and so we've been in rehearsals for a couple days with her. It's come together so easily. She's fantastic," the group's Hillary Scott said.

Jennifer Nettles sent a message about radio airplay for female country artists with her outfit, that included a polite request to radio programmers.

"So when I found out that the CMAs were gonna be celebrating women this year -- and there were gonna be three women as hostesses this year, I thought what a fantastic opportunity to take the conversation beyond the applause tonight and to send a further message that we've all heard rumbling for many years now that women are supremely underrepresented in country radio and on country playlists," she said.

For King & Country singer Luke Smallbone celebrated Kanye West's recent gospel-inspired album "Jesus Is King.

"Well, I'm rooting for him. I think you always hope for people -- I mean, it obviously seems like he's gone through some sort of transition in life," he said. "As far as his music, I felt like it was inspired. I felt like it was fresh. And he did what Kanye does. I think he's a musical genius and he's pushing boundaries in such unique ways. I felt like -- when I listened to the album, I felt really proud."



Find out more about AP Archive:

Twitter:

Facebook:

Google+:

Tumblr:

Instagram:





You can license this story through AP Archive:

AP Archive,4239817,6231970759304116874128e87b81d09a,US CMA Arrivals 1,Dolly Parton,Halsey,Carrie Underwood,Ashley McBryde,Tammy Wynette,Hillary Scott,Reba McEntire,Kanye West,Randy Travis,Charles Kelley,Luke Smallbone,Jennifer Nettles,Sheryl Crow,Arts and entertainment,Country Music Association Awards,

Post a Comment

0 Comments