Advertisement

The Cost of Living in Hawaii - Housing, Groceries, & more!

The Cost of Living in Hawaii - Housing, Groceries, & more! I have lived here for 4 years now and this has been one of my most requested videos! I thought I’d go ahead and share a realistic picture of what it costs to live in Hawaii. These are based on my personal experiences and might be different depending on where you live and on which island.

Both money and Hawaii are sensitive topics which is why I don’t dive too deep into some of the complicated issues surrounding the problems that Hawaii faces. I consider myself a guest here and am slowly seeking to understand and educate myself more. I plan on making a video that will go more in depth with these issues so we can all learn and understand together!

Here are some of the current costs laid out:

Rent for 1 bedroom apartment: $1,500-$2200 / month
Groceries and eating out for 2 people: $500-$800 / month
Car: about the same as mainland but requires more maintenance due to humidity and salt in the air
Gas: $3.25 / gallon
Gym on North Shore: $200 / month
Crossfit gym on North Shore: $180 / month
(Specific to Hawaii) Self employed GE tax: 5%

Grocery costs in the video:
Loaf of bread: $5-8
Bananas: $1-2 / lb
Avocados: $2.50 each
Lemons + limes: $1 each
Strawberries: $6-8 for small carton
Bell peppers: $5 / lb
Broccoli, carrots, & most other veggies: $2-4 / lb
Kale + lettuce: $3-5 / lb
Peanut butter: $7-10
Orange juice: $7
Organic milk: $8
Almond milk: $6
Regular non-fat milk: $6
Butter: $5-7
8 CT granola bars: $5
11 oz Gold Fish: $6
Dreyers ice cream: $9

Lots of these can be found cheaper if you shop around or look at Costco though!

If you want to move to Hawaii you need to be realistic. Having a specific skill set such as a trade or years of experience will help you in the job market. It is difficult for even people born here to find a job, so please be mindful that there are limited resources. Another option is to work remotely or self employed. It’s a good idea to test the waters by coming here for a semester or internship to see if you even like it here. Most people move away because living in Hawaii is not easy or convenient.

Housing is also extremely limited. I get asked all the time if I know of any places for rent but to be honest, if I did I would be living there or telling my friends about it first! It’s best if you have connections on the island already. There aren’t a ton of options but if you are flexible about location you will find something.

There’s nothing wrong with keeping Hawaii as a vacation spot! Come enjoy the island, be mindful of its culture and people, try lots of good food, and spend your money where it counts.

I have an Oahu travel guide that shares my favorite hikes, beaches, activities, local business’s, and places to stay that aren’t illegal and pay the travel tax so your money goes back into the state.


If you want to explore a bit more about Hawaiian culture feel free to check out my photography gallery of people and stories I’ve captured throughout the islands!


FREE HAWAII PACKING LIST:


Instagram:

Hawaii,Oahu,Kauai,North shore,Maui,Big Island,costs,how much does it cost,to live in hawaii,life,travel guide,expenses,island,talking,finance,groceries,foodland,housing,rent,

Post a Comment

0 Comments