Advertisement

Why Russian letter Ы is similar to English bI (bee and ai)?

Why Russian letter Ы is similar to English bI (bee and ai)? Beautiful girl from the video:

Pleas donate via PayPal TDFKLN@gmail.com
When you look at Russian letter Ы you’ll notice that first part of the letter is similar to English letter b [bee] and second part of the letter is similar to English letter I [ai]. Is this a coincidence? No, it’s not.
Let me do a little introduction in Cyrillic. In Russia and in several other Slavic countries we write in Cyrillic. Long time ago in order to create an alphabet for Slavic people Cyril and Methodius took all the letters from Greek alphabet and took two letters from Hebrew one.
English letter ‘I’ (ai) and Slavic letter ‘I’ (ee) are both derived from the Greek letter Iota. This is why letter ‘I’ (ai) and the second part of letter Ы are similar. They not only look similar they sound similarly although not the same. Letter Ы sounds harder then English letter ‘I’ in words big, sing, Nick.
But let us return to the history. Cyril and Methodius still needed more letters to indicate all the Slavic sounds. And they invented several new letters. Several letters they made by modifying Greek letter Alpha and some by modifying Greek letter Beta. And one letter they made by crossbreeding Greek letter Kopha and Hebrew letter Shin.
Both English letter b (bee) and the first part of letter Ы were made from Greek Beta. But although they look the same first part of letter Ы is not a bee sound but have no sound itself for it is a ‘Hard Sign’. Hard Sign means that letter I (ee) must sound harder - Ы.
Now we know that letter Ы is a Hard Sign and I (ee). Ы. But that is not the end of story. Now ‘Hard Sign’ in letter Ы look like ‘Soft Sign’. But in ancient texts Ы was looking like that ЪI. Appearance of the letter Ы changed but meaning is still the same: it is Hard Sign and I (ee).
And the last note. In 1918 Bolsheviks removed letter I (ee) from Russian alphabet. Now you can not find letter I in Russian text. It remaines only in digraph letters: Ю and Ы.
Now you may say ‘Ok I understood that Ы is a Hard Sign with I (ee). But I still don’t know how to pronounce it.’ Then you may try to start pronounce sound ‘oo’ and then stretch your mouth like when you pronounce ‘ee’.
To summarize, when you see letter bI in Cyrillic text don’t be afraid it is letter I like in words pig, wig, kick, only pronounced harder, ‘bI’ is harder variant of ‘ee’ sound.

Russian,Russian alphabet,Cyrillic,Japanese girl,Long hair,Extremely long hair,Bun drop,Beautiful girl,

Post a Comment

0 Comments